Monday, October 19, 2009

Kitchen Chairs Receive a Facelift!!!

Before: (disregard the mess!)

After: I took it from a different view so you could see the other furniture tying into the room


Yay!!! Another item marked off my checklist! The kitchen table and chairs was given to us by my husband's dad when he moved--it was definitely a step up from our cheap butcher block table and chairs (which now serves as my crafting table in the basement). There are many things I love about this set-including it is extremely solid-great for small kids, having the bench to accomodate extra guests, and having two leafs so I can seat 10-12 people. However, the farm style wouldn't have been my first choice and there was so much buildup and wear and tear on the chairs and table. So I decided they needed a facelift--I was trying to figure out how in the world I would be able to paint in between the crevices--then it hit me--spray paint!! So I used TSP to clean off the residue, let it dry and spray painted away. After drying-I applied two coats of a semi-gloss polyurethane to protect it. I am so happy with how it looks and I love the contrast of the black/brown and how it ties in with all the other black furniture I have painted. I want to keep the tabletop brown but refinish it and was thinking of doing the legs of the table black-what do you all think?
*This is my first time participating in Kimba's DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land

7 comments:

  1. Yeah for you! I love a good chair redo... Don't you love them so much better?? Way to go!
    ~Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love it, what a difference paint makes! Stop by for a visit soon.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your chairs look beautiful! I love them in black!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great re-do! We painted our kitchen mismatched ladderback chairs black, too, and it really gives them some class! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I think the table legs would look great in black too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the black! I did our kitchen chairs black too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the inspiration. I did the very same thing to my chairs and went on to paint the skirt and legs of the table too, leaving the top "wood" (old formica laminant) and it has gone from drab to dazzling! I cannot thank you enough.

    ReplyDelete