Saturday, November 14, 2009

Thankful Hearts

This Thanksgiving season I wanted to try and teach my daughter thankfulness and reflect on it a little more myself. As a child, Thanksgiving was my least favorite holiday--I always said it was a guys day-the girls have to do all the work while the guys watch football all day and our conversations around the table used to lend themselves to either sports, military (my brother serves in the military-of which I am proud of now) and politics-and it was a holiday with no presents (with the exception of a new ornament-thanks Mom!) It's only become recently that I have learned to appreciate Thanksgiving and learn to thank God for all the blessings in my life. So, I decided to make a Thankful tree in the house-not the cutest thing but for free-it gives us something to reflect on. First gather sticks around the yard or your neighbors'-I was only successful in finding a few branches that branched off. Also gather a few leaves of different shapes-these are your stencils for your homemade leaves. I wish I had a cute container/basket but I didn't but I did have several glass vases back when my husband used to give me flowers(sigh) so I spray painted it with the chalkboard paint and wrote "Give Thanks" on it. Stuck the sticks in and cut out the shapes of the leaves using fall leaves colors-brown, red, green,yellow, and orange construction paper. Every morning I ask Natalie what do you want to Thank God for today and we both fill out a leaf and tie it onto the branches. On Thanksgiving Day I will take them and untie them and we will talk about all the things God has given us or blessed us with.

No comments:

Post a Comment