Friday, November 6, 2009

Recovering Chandeleir Shades with tutorial

I am not a garage saler-I would like to be-I get a thrill out of shopping, bargain hunting, and going through people's junk but toting two small kids around and never having cash limits these excursions. I did go to one a few weeks ago though that was just down the street and bought some shades for our chandeleir for $1.25 for 5. I have some Pottery Barn ones that are neutral and I like but for $1.25 I wanted to see what I could do with it. So off to Hobby Lobby this week to pick out some fabric and get some spray adhesive!





To get the pattern of your shade get some brown paper and start your lamp shade (do the bottom first) at the seam and using a pencil follow the pattern as you roll the lamp shade across the paper until you reach the seam again. Go back to your starting place and do the top part now. Connect the top and bottom with a line. Cut out your pattern (you can add about 1/2 inch to all sides to ensure you have enough) and pin to fabric. Cut out. Using spray adhesive, spray glue onto backside of fabric and place on lampshade-starting at the seam and slowly pressing down to get a smooth finish. With extra sides fold over and hot glue (for some reason my spray adhesive did not stick well on the overlap)-and I did take this picture before I hotglued so sime sides are off. But a cheap and easy project overall to spruce up your chandeleir!

No comments:

Post a Comment